On the southern tip of Vancouver Island, near Victoria is the wonderful community of Sidney, BC. It is a beautiful, quaint town known as “Sidney by the Sea” and a great place to spend the day if you are looking for an outing during your stay at Prancing Horse Retreat.
A little over a half an hour drive (a very scenic drive too!) takes you to Sidney and once you are there you can park and literally walk to almost anything you would want to see and do. All year long the weather is pleasant and mild, making it a great place to visit whenever you find yourself here on Vancouver Island. To help narrow down what to do, we have highlighted five of the top things you can check out in Sidney. Take your pick, add some more and get ready for a wonderful day!
Five Things to Do in Sidney:
- If you love books and/or love to read, you simply have to check out the abundance of bookstores in town. Sidney is actually Canada’s only “Booktown” and you will find that each bookstore has its own unique style and focus. Each owner is an expert in their field and happy to share their favorites or help you find exactly what you are looking for.
- Take some time to explore the Sidney Seaside Sculpture Walk. Starting at Beacon Park and continuing along the seawall of the Saanich Peninsula, you can view ten magnificent outdoor sculptures.
- Spend a morning or afternoon at the Shaw Ocean Discovery Center. This is an incredible aquarium with many fascinating exhibits to explore. You can also take a behind the scenes or guided tour.
- If you are in the mood for some cycling, hiking, running, or just walking, visit the Lochside Regional Trail. This trail stretches past beaches, farmland, wetlands, and more and is a beautiful, peaceful place to spend some time outdoors.
- Whether you are looking for a place for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, the Sea Glass Waterfront Grill is a popular spot with incredible west coast dining right on the waterfront. Try the Wild Sockeye Benny for breakfast, the West Coast Baby Shrimp Wrap for lunch or the Wild BC Rockfish Westcoast Red Snapper for dinner. After you fill your stomach, you can enjoy a walk on the docks at Port Sidney Marina.
In later spring and summer you can also try a whale watching tour or fishing charter for halibut or salmon-definitely an adventure! At the end of a full day in Sidney you can make your way back to the Prancing Horse Retreat and relax by the fireplace with a book, enjoy a glass of wine on your private balcony or unwind in your soaker tub—a perfect end to a perfect day on the Island. You can book directly online or feel free to contact us at (250) 743-9378 for more information about our bed and breakfast.